It was founded in 1969 by a group of Preveza's choristers with love for choral music and with the aim of promoting choral music in our small provincial city.
Since then our choir has traced a brilliant march both in cultural events in our country, & abroad.
Great landmarks in its history:
- In the decade of '70, it collaborates with the well-known Greek Composer, Yannis Markopoulos, performing, in first world implementation, the work of «Besieged in Liberty» in verses from our National Poet, Dionisios Solomos. A disk was created for first time and “ Armonia” gave concerts so much in many cities in Greece (with climax in the Theatre Herodes Atticus and in the Panathinaikos Stage), what in Cyprus and Libya. For this event, it collaborated with Nikos Xylouris, Ilias Klonarides, Lakis Halkias, Lizeta Nikolaou and Irene Pappas.
- In the decade of '80, it represents our country in a series of events in countries abroad, aiming at the distribution of Greek music in the whole world. It has repeatedly visited Sweden, Spain, Italy, Hungary, Poland, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, France, etc. In 1983, it founds the INTERNATIONAL CHORAL FESTIVAL OF PREVEZA, an event with great cultural offer in our country until now.
- The decade of '90 constitutes landmark and maximisation of its activities. It takes part in numerous important international competitions in Greece, as well as abroad, winning a lot of rewards, making known our country in all the world. At the same time, along with the INTERNATIONAL CHORAL FESTIVAL OF PREVEZA, it also founds the INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION of SACRED MUSIC, where more than 1500 choristers from all the world participate annually. It collaborated with orchestras in the concerts of masterpieces of classic music (Vivaldi, Pergolesi, Dvorak, etc). In 1999 in collaboration with the musical ensembles of National Radio – Television (E. R. T.) it performed, in first world implementation, under the direction of Mr Alkis Baltas and Antonis Kontogeorgiou, the Greek masterpiece «A Hymn to Freedom» in music of Nikolaos Mantzaros and in verses from our National Poet, Dionisios Solomos. A CD was created with six more Greek Choirs. It also presented the same work in Cyprus. In 31/12/1999, it participated in the events for the MILLENNIUM on the Acropolis, which were transmitted by satellite to the whole world by the Greek Television. Both of the last events had been placed under the high aegis of The Prime Minister of our country, Mr Konstantinos Simitis.
- In the new decade it gazes the future with pride participating in a series of leading events. It participated in the inaugural ceremony of The Olympic Academy in Pnyka interpreting the Olympic Anthem of Spyros Samaras in verses from Kostis Palamas. It participated in the masterpiece «Ode to Joy» of L. Van Beethoven, in the Theatre Palace of Music in Athens in the frames of the 8th International Choral Festival of Athens.
It has shown particular sensitivity in social problems of our country and it has organised charity events in order to strengthen the following:
- ARMING Association of Friends of Children with Neoplasms 'Floga'
- The institution 'Elpida'
- The Centre of Children with Special Needs of our Prefecture
- The children that fell victims of the devastating earthquake of San Juliano of Italy, etc.
It has been organising a series of events, with the aim of underlining the significance of connecting the Olympic Spirit with choral music.
4th, 12th and 13th Pan-Hellenic Choral Congresses in Preveza with attendance of more than 100 choirs from all over Greece. Well-known musicians from all the country, as well as chairmen of important choral federations of abroad will participate in the Congresses.
International Choral festival of Preveza with the attendance of 30 choirs from the whole world annually.
Other cultural events.
Rewards of Choral Society 'ARMONIA' of Preveza
- 1972, 2nd reward in the Pan-Hellenic Competition of Choirs in Xanthi
- 1980, 3rd reward in the Pan-Hellenic Competition of Choirs in Athens
- 1990, Silver medal in the International Choral Festival of Athens
- 1992, 1st reward in the interpretation of folklore in the International Choral Festival of Athens
- 1992, Silver medal in the classic repertory in the International Choral Festival of Athens
- 1993, Bronze medal in the International Choral Festival of Cantonigros (Spain)
- 1994, a silver and two bronze medals in the International Choral Festival of Athens
- 1995, Bronze medal in the International Choral Festival of Vatican City (Italy)
- 1996, Gold, silver and bronze medal in the International Choral Festival of Athens
- 1998, 1st reward in the interpretation of folklore and two silver medals in the classic repertory in the International Choral Festival of Rhodes
- 1998, 1st reward in the interpretation of folklore and golden medal in the classic repertory in the International Choral Festival of Athens
- 2000, Was elected as the Best Greek Choir for the year 2000
- 2000, Two first rewards in the categories of mixed & chamber choir respectively, a gold, a silver and a bronze medal in the International Choral Festival of Athens
- 2001, 2nd reward in the International Choral Festival of Montreux (Switzerland)
- 2003, 2nd reward in the National Choir Competition “Mikes Theodorakis” of Nafpaktos
- 2003, 1st reward in the in the interpretation of folklore in the International Choral Festival I.C.H.F.M.R of Vlachovo Brezi (Czech Republic).
- 2005, 3rd reward in the National Choir Competition “Mikes Theodorakis” of Nafpaktos
- 2008, Bronze medal in International Choral Festival of Rimini (Italy)
It has been rewarded 4 times by the municipality of Preveza, as well as by the Union of Choirs of Greece and the Rotary Group for its cultural offer. It is a member of IFCM and Hellenic Union of Choirs.